Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Quick Comments Re The Gusty Winds - Edited A Bit

Wind trace for today (above) from Kitt Peak 4-m telescope - quite nasty out there (as I've said before, the locations of the weather stations there is not known to me, and there could be considerable structure effects involved with the high wind speeds).

Locally, it has been very windy down the Rillito Wash area. Based on the activity of our largest wind chime and the trees, I estimated gusts 35 to 40 mph earlier this morning. But I walked at mid-morning and it wasn't fun. I could barely stand up heading east into wind on Allen St. So I upped my estimates to at least 50 mph here in our part of City. Numerous trash and recycle bins blown over, with much trash blowing westward along Allen.

The winds at airport are gusting 35 - 40 mph, almost double that of the current morning forecast. I checked the current grid point forecast for the airport and it is way off. Strongest winds in that forecast are 20 mph (tailing off to 14 by midnight) with no gusts forecast. 

Mt. Hopkins has just been 45 to 50 mph, but the morning WRF forecasts still bring the winds near mountain top more easterly, so it is likely the gusts will increase up there.

The winds setting up during the night kept temperatures quite a bit warmer locally than they were Monday morning. After a low of 30 F yesterday here, low this morning was 44 F. The airport had 33 F yesterday and 42 F this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment