Monday, September 05, 2016

Hurricane Newton And NWS Tweet


Hurricane Newton is strengthening rapidly as it heads northward toward southern Baja. The NHC forecasts Newton to be a weakening Tropical Depression, located over northern Sonora, by late Wednesday afternoon. Of concern is the very large area of moisture and convection to the north and northeast of Newton. Above visible image is from 3:00 pm MST this afternoon.

From yesterday's post, I repeatThe problem with agencies like NWS playing around in social network stuff and dumbed-down cartoons is that these media are usually too restrictive for needed technical details - what Paul Harvey used to call "The Rest of the Story."

A reader sent along the NWS Tweet below - a pretty graphic but minimal real information. I have no idea what the spaghetti plot of "tracks" is actually showing. Since one of them hits Chicago, I assume it must be the remnant 500 mb vorticty maximum left behind by Newton. I also have no idea what models all the abbreviations refer to. But, perhaps I should forward this to my sister in Chicago!


No comments:

Post a Comment