Sunday, April 22, 2012

Morning Walk On Earth Day


While walking this morning, I was lucky to observe both a great horned owl and a Cooper's hawk. Cooper's hawks are fairly common here in Tucson, however, I have seen great horned owls only a few times over the years. Actually, I did not initially spot the owl, which was perched high up in a red gum tree, but came upon another hiker trying to get photos of the bird as the sun came up.

Added note - I wish that I had taken these, but I'm an amateur with a cheap digital camera. These are non-credited, non-copyrighted photo grabs from the internet. I should have included this note on the original post - photos used in case readers don't know what I'm running on about. 

I also learned that a pair is nesting down there and some with binoculars can see several heads poking up out of the nest. So, I may take camera over there to see if I can get anything decent.


The night hawks have returned this week and the geckos have been hunting bugs on the kitchen window screen for a week or so. The timing is quite similar to last year.

The Tucson high was 99F yesterday and morning low at house was 48F. Phoenix had a high of 103F. Perhaps a 100 or more in Tucson today - low this morning was only 51F..

No comments:

Post a Comment