Saturday, September 24, 2016

More On The Satellite Images

I asked what was wrong with this image yesterday.


Comments I got went:

John Hinsberger has left a new comment on your post "What's Wrong With This Satellite Image?":

>From what I gather, imagery is no longer being generated at the Western Region level, but is coming from NESDIS. Hopefully, the county lines will come back again soon. 

Jack D has left a new comment on your post "What's Wrong With This Satellite Image?":

In my humble opinion, it is hardly Tucson centered. Not even if you consider the entire CWA. There needs to be much more coverage to the south and to the east, outside of cool-season systems, for which the Phoenix-centered image compensates, there is no coverage south of 31N nor as far as 108W. It "seems" to be centered just east of the jct of I-8/I-10 which is, in fact outside the Tucson CWA. 

Jack D has left a new comment on your post "What's Wrong With This Satellite Image?":

For what it's worth, you can get a more "customizable" version (lat/long, highway, etc) of the same image at the URL: http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/west/wfo/twc.html 

Chris Reynolds has left a new comment on your post "What's Wrong With This Satellite Image?":

I do miss the old links.. I like this : http://weather.msfc.nasa.gov/GOES/ 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All the comments are relevant, but I have been upset with the lack of county outlines, which makes geographical interpretation difficult. As per old version (different day) below:


While it is nice to be rid of the black void at bottom of image, the county boundaries were very useful to me. I have searched various sites and the only image I can find with county boundaries is from NCAR, as per:


But this is not very useful since it's centered over Hermosilla, Mexico. If anyone can steer me to a nice visible sector for Arizona with county boundaries, please let me know.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Since I'm going on about this, I must say that I really dislike the IR and WV sectors now and the link that Jack D. provided is much better, given greater flexibility. The NWS link to western IR now produces:


I really dislike this Funktop enhancement curve - perhaps because of multi-decade familiarity with the AVN curve. The Jack D link lets you chose the old color enhancement, as per:


Both the NOAA enhancements are of minimal use, since they don't quantify the temperatures that correspond to the colors - very sloppy science.

No comments:

Post a Comment