Tuesday, September 03, 2024

Summer Overview

Storm over the Catalina foothills on 25 July at 4:00 pm MST.

First, a look at August in detail. Plots above and below show total August rainfall observations across the ALERT network. The driest region covers most of the metro area northwest to Oro Valley. There are three sites that reported over 3 inches of rainfall for the month, and many sites had over 2 inches. Here at the house I measured only 0.78" inches, which was the fifth driest August since 1999.


Back to June - we had 1.75" of rain during the last part of the month. This was the third wettest June here since 1999.

July was another wet month, with a total here of 3.72" - this was the 7th wettest July since 1999 here.

There were 23 days here when I noted that thunderstorms had occurred during the summer (my hearing is bad, so there were probably a few more that I missed). One of these was marginally severe and blew apart our front gate (on 18 July).

Total summer rainfall here was 6.25", which was 10th wettest summer since I started my records. The driest summer was in 2013 (1.51" total), while the wettest here was in 2021 (10.98").

No comments:

Post a Comment