Saturday, September 19, 2015

Distracted By Urban Wildlife



Even though we're inside the City of Tucson, there is abundant urban wildlife in this part of town - probably because of all the washes that feed down from the Catalina Foothills into the Rillito Wash. This morning I opened the backdoor to come over to our book casita (where I run Squid Ink Books) and surprised a herd of 10 Javelina chomping away on potted plants (they scared the heck out of me too). There were 4 little ones, 2 yearlings and 4 adults, and they drifted back and forth between the neighbor's carport area and the backyard around our casita.




While I was keeping an eye on the Javelina, two beautiful Harris hawks flew in and perched on the casita roof and back fence and just watched what was going on. Photo above is from online stock - I didn't have my camera in hand when the hawks came in.

About two weeks ago neighbor John Ferner caught a mother bobcat and her cub prowling through their yard during the night. Never a dull minute on our circle.


No comments:

Post a Comment