Monday, May 20, 2013

Urban Wildlife Encounters

First - several reports of snakes here on our circle. One neighbor discovered a 6 ft rattlesnake in her courtyard at the end of last week. I've never seen a rattler here in the neighborhood, nor on my morning walks along the Rillito Wash. Another neighbor reports that a large bull snake has taken up residence in her yard. A couple of weeks ago a neighbor re-located a king snake from across the circle down to near the Rillito.


This morning a bit after 5 am I encountered a herd of 11 javelina near the intersection of Country Club and Allen (about a block north of the house toward the Rillito). About as many as shown in the photo above (not my photos - just examples of what I'm writing about). There were four large adults, 3 that appeared to be about a year old, and four tiny ones that were probably only a week or two old. The adults were VERY protective, and one stood on the path about 10 yards ahead of me making sure that I didn't come closer, and believe me, I certainly didn't. The little ones were even smaller than one shown below. I've seen a herd of five several times in the past, and this may have been them with new arrivals.

The wildlife sightings reflect the increasing severity of the continuing drought. Lack of water in the foothills of the Catalinas is causing animals to seek water and more abundant prey in the fringes of the city, where both are more easily found. It is said that Tucson is the most dangerous city in the country for domestic cats that are allowed outside.


No comments:

Post a Comment