Saturday, June 05, 2010

Comment On The Hot Air Plume

JimmyC writes:

This is a fascinating case of a short wave ridge evolution. When I started looking at the data I noticed that short wave trough was present over AZ on 6-2 at 1200 UTC (with -9 to -12C temps at 500 hPa). NKX and VBG both reported -6C at 1200 UTC and then 12 hours later also -5.5 before getting down to -4. But then as you point out all the stations over arizona, new mexico rapidly warm to -4 as the ridge passes. But the dew point depressions do not change much after the 4th. So large scale gradual subsidence doesn't appear to be a good fit. The area is also to the south of the 500 hPa front for much of this period. Perhaps there was the first short wave ridge to rapidly warm things up (advection of a new air mass possibly) on the 3rd then a bout of subsidence this morning. However, VBG shows the best sign of a continued lower troposphere backing wind profile.
---------------------------------------------------
I have to admit that I haven't taken a close look at how the pattern has evolved into this morning's situation, with the amazingly hot middle-level temperatures. I posted the charts below when I noted the very high temps - ABQ with -2C at 500 mb and AMA with +18C at 700 mb. These are near the extreme limits of what can be observed in this region. I need to take a closer look at how this situation evolved, and will try to do this tomorrow - have to go somewhere this evening.
---------------------------------------------------
I have been watching the soundings the last several days and have noted that many of the Td profiles across the Southwest appear to indicate bad RH data, with the RRS sensors responding very slowly to changes in the vertical.
----------------------------------------------------
jimmyc - could you contact me directly at madwx@squidinkbooks.com ?
I'd like to discuss your question in more detail than might be appropriate for the blog. THX Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment